Join us on Facebook
Become a GFWA member

Site Announcements

Invitation to RPS SAVANA Allottees to join Case in NCDRC against RPS Infrastructures Ltd

Have you submitted a rating and reviewed your project?
Rate & Review your project now! Submit your project and review.
Read Reviews! Share your feedback!

** Enhanced EDC Stayed by High Court **

Forum email notifications...Please read !
Carpool from Greater Faridabad to Noida
Carpool from Greater Faridabad to GGN

Advertise with us

All RTI related information

Guide: How to file a RTI application

Postby webmaster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:24 am

Our member Dheeraj Jain has explained the process of filing a RTI application, how to draft the RTI application and how to submit the RTI application.

Filing a RTI is a simple process but we have to use conventional methods as Govt. departments in India do not use e-mails or technology.

Step 1: Application should be addressed to Public Information Officer (PIO) of concerned department. So, for example, if we want to get information from HUDA, Faridabad, then it should be addressed to Public Information Officer, HUDA, Faridabad

Step 2: There is no prescribed format for writing your queries. Only requirement is that letter subject should start with :

"Request for Information under Right To Information (RTI) Act, 2005"

Step 3: Frame your queries in points (recommended)

Step 4: At end of letter, you should have a declaration
"I do hereby declare that I am a citizen of India. I request you to ensure that the information is provided before the expiry of the 30 day period after you have received the application"

Step 5: Fees: You can deposit fees by Postal Order (recommended) as it is cheaper or by Bank Draft. It should be in favor of Accounts Officer. For example, if you are writing RTI to NHAI, it should be Accounts Officer, NHAI payable at location of concerned department

Step 6: Amount of Fees. For departments falling under Haryana Govt. like HUDA, DTCP, Haryana fees is Rs 50. For National/Central departments like NHAI, fees is Rs 10 only

Step 7: You should sign the application and write your postal address

Step 8: Send your letter by Registered Post only. No couriers.

Attached is a sample RTI application.

More information can be found here.

http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/how-to-us ... ication-1/

http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/how-to-us ... cation-16/
You do not have the required permission to view the files attached to this post. Read FAQs
Or you must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.
webmaster
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

Re: Guide: How to file a RTI application

Postby rgoel24 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Dear Dheeraj

Stupendous information!!!!!

Please let me know what was the response to ur RTI, how much time they take etc.

Also, can we plan to take the help of noted RTI activist Mr Arvind Kejariwal............
rgoel24
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby webmaster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Request all members to share RTI submission best practices, experience and feedback here so that all members are benefitted.

Share any links, news or references which can be worthwhile.
webmaster
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

Postby s1joshi » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am

I have received a few emails and phone calls on the RTI, and would like to share my experience with all

RTI Letter Drafting
I have observed many instances, where people want to seek some information, have already a few questions in mind, know whom to seek the information from, Still delay the entire process, as they ae trying to gain consensus or approval on RTI letter.

Every individual can file an RTI, If u have a set of questions to ask, which u wish to get reviewed, start with a deadline in mind, Even if u dont receive feedback by given date, My suggestion to u wud be to post the letter, You have already done ur efforts, Why delay posting the letter. If u missed asking some questions, You can always ask in next application,

My dear friends, Let me quote my exeprience, The very first RTI application, stayed in my purse (as- is) for over a year, As I was not confident enough, and was trying to seek approval from everyone (On wordings/questions etc etc). Later I realized, Its just my inhibition which is delaying the process. It is good to get it reviewed, but it shd be for facilitation not for delaying the purpose. Further there are several online forums dedicated for rti assistance, where also u can seek assistance.

Contribution of funds for RTI
Most states have RTI fee for 10 Rs, Haryana may give you a feel of luxury brand, with 5 times the cost, The fee in Haryana is 50 INR, and there will be approx 25-30 INR fee for sending letter by registered post, Effectively sum of 75-80 Rs per RTI application.

I often hear, I am ready to contribute for RTI expenses, In my opinion, every individual who has some questions can file an independant RTI application, instead of waiting for a group, and moreso operational aspects associated with getting a group funding for such trivial amount may delay the overall process.

In some instances, It may require persistance efforts, You might be required to file an appeal, But these are just letter, with pre-defined templates available for most of them. We all belong to educated masses, and have access to everything to facilitate seeking information. Why worry, The maximum that can ever go wrong can be that your application may get rejected, Even that will provide you some learning for future.

So my advise to all such concerned, after all its for our own money, We must probe the authorities.

Have questions, Use your Right to Information
s1joshi
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby vkbans » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:24 am

All,

One can use RTINation.com to submit appliation online inc ase you are outside India or ermote place etc. Some have bad experience with them and few gud.
I recently used it to track status of my PF Transfer application. I am yet to receive response. If I receive it some time then I can share my experience and confidance in RTINation service.

Till that time you can make your own call. If some one already have experience with them, please share.

Cheers,
Vikram Bansal
vkbans
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Guide (Updated): How to file a RTI application

Postby dheerajjain » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Filing a RTI is a simple process with no templates or formats. It can be handwritten or typed on plain blank paper. It relies on using conventional methods of sending postal letters. I have updated guide based on my experiences.

Step 1: Application should be addressed to Public Information Officer (PIO) of concerned department. List of public information officers are available at generally all Govt. websites under RTI section. Like, for HUDA, it is availble under important links on right side (List of SPIOs and APIOs) at HUDA web site http://huda.gov.in (PIO stands for Public Information Officer). Link URL is http://www.huda.gov.in/Telephone%20List/List.pdf . So, if you open this URL and are having query related to Division 1 of HUDA in Faridabad, you can address your application to XEN-I, XEN Office Division 1 Faridabad, HUDA complex, Sector 12, Faridabad. A bit of caution: Do not write names of officers even if you know.

In case you do NOT know who will handle your query, even then these is no issue. Your appllication can simply be addressed to Public Information Officer, HUDA, HUDA Complex, Sector 12, Faridabad. Then, it becomes responsibility of designated public information officer to route your application to concerned person.

Step 2: There is no prescribed format for writing your queries. Only requirement is that letter subject should start with :

"Request for Information under Right To Information (RTI) Act, 2005"

Step 3: Frame your queries in points (recommended) and your queries should be inter-related. Also, remember you are requesting information, NOT submitting any complaint or challenging decisions made by Govt. So, refrain from passing any judgmental remarks, demanding explanations, giving your viewpoints, using sentences that look like complaints etc.

Step 4: At end of letter, you should have these sentences

Please provide the all requested information as above, once the information is received as per request and as per RTI act, the inspection of the records/files will be done in coordination with concerned departments (please indicate date). If any charges to be paid for photocopies kindly mention the number of pages and amount. If any information is available on the department website, kindly mention the link in the answers.

I state that the information sought does not fall within the restrictions contained in section 8 of the Act and to the best of my knowledge it pertains to your office.

If any of the information sought above does not pertain to you, kindly forward it, under intimation to me, to the respective department under section 6(3) of RTI Act 2005 within 5 days of receipt of application.

I hereby declare that I am the citizen of India. I am attaching fees of Rs xx along with this RTI application. Please provide me information within 30 days of receiving this letter. This information can be given at address given below.

Step 5: Fees: You can deposit fees by Postal Order (recommended) as it is cheaper or by Bank Draft. It should be in favor of concerned Public Information Officer. If you do not know to whom fees should go in case you had addressed it to Public Infomation Officer, you can leave Payable To blank in postal order.

Step 6: Amount of Fees. For departments falling under Haryana Govt. like HUDA, DTCP, Haryana fees is Rs 50 (Haryana collects so much funds !!). For National/Central departments like NHAI, fees is Rs 10 only

Step 7: You should sign the application and write your postal address

Step 8: Send your letter by Registered Post or Speed post only. Couriers are NOT recommended.

Please note right under RTI is given only to individuals. So, organizations can't file RTI, so GFWA as an organization can't file any RTI. But, GFWA members can file as individuals.

Attached is a sample RTI application. Queries, please post on forum.

(Next Article: What to do when you do NOT receive response? How to write a good appeal?
You do not have the required permission to view the files attached to this post. Read FAQs
dheerajjain
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby webmaster » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:39 am

Excellent guide Dheeraj....I am sure this will help every member wanting to file RTI.
webmaster
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

Postby rgoel24 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm

another sample RTI..

Dear all , please note that filing an RTI is a very easy process, anybody interested can call me on 9873800618
rgoel24
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby vkbans » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:03 am

vkbans wrote:All,

I recently used it to track status of my PF Transfer application. I am yet to receive response. If I receive it some time then I can share my experience and confidance in RTINation service.

Till that time you can make your own call. If some one already have experience with them, please share.

Cheers,
Vikram Bansal

My 1st experience with RTINation, received reponse to RTI request related to PF Transfer in around 2 months and folloing that within 2-3 days PF Transfer cheque was received.
2nd exp: Submitted RTI to seek info regrading KLJ - License/EDC, received reply with in 35 days (including sat/sun) however reply is not complete which I think I mixed questions concering to different depts...

Cheers,
Vikram Bansal
KLJ Greens
vkbans
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby brandoo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:40 pm

rgoel24 wrote:Dear Dheeraj

Stupendous information!!!!!

Please let me know what was the response to ur RTI, how much time they take etc.

Also, can we plan to take the help of noted RTI activist Mr Arvind Kejariwal............

Dear Arvind Kejriwal is no expert. He is hogging limelight which he couldn't being ans AC in IRS.

Anna's has raised good issue but modus operandi is not correct.
Please post specific queries related to RTI, I can help.
brandoo
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby brandoo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:50 pm

s1joshi wrote:Most states have RTI fee for 10 Rs, Haryana may give you a feel of luxury brand, with 5 times the cost, The fee in Haryana is 50 INR, and there will be approx 25-30 INR fee for sending letter by registered post, Effectively sum of 75-80 Rs per RTI application.
Have questions, Use your Right to Information

As per the Act, fee can't be more than 10 Rs and upto ten pages, information should be provided free and beyond this, Rs 2 per page should be charged.

When we file RTI application we tend to commit mistakes and hence information is delayed or in maximum cases, is delayed. :@

1. Always ask factual question such as what, where and not why. RTI provide right to seek information and not inferences or judgement's from officials.
2. Ask small and clear question. Break long questions into parts such as a,b,& c
3. Ask as many as questions, if applicant is using stamp paper of Rs 10, then use extra sheet for the questions.
4. Always direct/address application to PIO,if addressed to SPIO or any other authority, information will take extra seven days which is above 30 day.
5. If applicant have to pay for the info which is more than pages, time lost in the process should be excluded from the total time.
6. While seeking info, it is always advisable to do little homework and ask pint pointed info rather than ambiguous questions which provide scope for manipulation at the PIO end.

Best
Sidh
brandoo
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm

I am reviving this topic again.

Since most members now know how to use the RTI process, it would be good to share best practices, success stories or post various RTI replies received from authorities.
webmaster
Site ADMIN
Site ADMIN

Postby shankyz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:22 pm

For RTI for OC for Greater Faridabad projects , have few queries :

1. Should RTI be sent to 'DTCP Chandigarh' or 'DTCP Faridabad' ?
2. Should P.O be addressed to "Accounts Officer , DTCP" ?

Thanks in advance.
shankyz

Postby dheerajjain » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:56 pm

1. RTI be addressed to DTCP, Chandigarh
2. Send the fee by Postal Order. You can put favoring name as Blank. Don't put name of Accounts Officer, keep it blank !
dheerajjain
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Postby umesh.prabhakar1965@rediffmail.com » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Dear,

What kind of infoemation is reqired by you? If at all it related to OC the RTI can be filed to STP ,Faridabad. If at all it relates to Account statement of EEDC,IDC,EEDC the RTI can be addressed to DTP(HQ).

Please clarify as the same can be advised accordingly.

Regards

Umesh Prabhakar
umesh.prabhakar1965@rediffmail.com
GFWA Member
GFWA Member

Next

Return to RTI Section